Physical Therapists are experts in the art and science of the evaluation and treatment of human movement and balance dysfunctions. We care for various muscle, joint, and nervous system disorders that affect your balance.
Don’t ignore the Facts:
- One of every three persons age 65 and older falls annually.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury and accidental death in those over the age of 85.
- In 2005, 15,800 people 65 and older died from injuries related to unintentional falls.
- About 1.8 million people 65 and older were treated in ERs for injuries sustained from falls (CDC 2008).
Risk factors associated with falls:
- Older Age
- Vision Problems
- Muscle Weakness
- Medications (being on 4 or more)
- A History of Falls
- Medical Conditions (such as diabetes, arthritis, stroke, walking problems, fear of falling)
Your Physical Therapist will assess:
- Your Fall Risk
- Your Strength
- Your Balance
- Your Medical History