Many people experience back or neck pain after too much heavy lifting, especially during the holiday season.
Steps to reduce back pain after heavy lifting
While back pain can come as a result of too much heavy lifting, there are solutions to reduce or eliminate the pain. Here are 4 ways of doing just that:
- Avoid Painful Activities. Avoid positions and activities that cause pain. This will help relieve the symptoms and reduce any swelling in the area of the pain.
- Apply heat and ice to the area in pain. Use ice for the first 48 to 72 hours, and then use heat. Ice and heat can alleviate pain that comes from muscle and ligament strain. Ice will slow the swelling and inflammation and act as a local anesthetic, but after 48 hours it will lose its effect. Using heat afterward will increase blood flow to the deep tissue and relax the muscle spasms.
- Do not stop moving. It is more effective to maintain limited or restricted movement of the muscles and joints than it is to use passive methods, such as rest or avoiding activity. As your pain eases, you should move your muscles and joints past the point of initial restriction.
- Adjust your daily routine. The key to avoiding back and neck pain is to maintain the normal curvature of the spine. If you support the hallow of your spine and practice good posture, it will help decrease back pain and recovery time.
Dynamic Physical Therapy
If you experiencing back or neck pain and think physical therapy could benefit you, please call to schedule an appointment with one of our Morgantown physical therapists today or visit our website to learn more.
- Westover: (304) 225-5222
- Morgantown: (304) 598-2212
- Sabraton: (304) 225-0910
Thanks for reading!