The shoulder joint has the greatest range of motion of any joint in the body. It is for that reason that the shoulder is likely to be injured. Typically, shoulder injuries occur during sports and work-related activities, projects at home or falls. Understanding why and how injuries occur can help you prevent shoulder injuries from occurring.
Preventing shoulder injuries is all about:
- Strengthening your wrist, arm, shoulder, neck and back muscles to help protect and decrease stress on your shoulder.
- Maintaining good posture. Stand straight and relaxed, without slumping.
- Warm up well and stretch before any activity. Stretch after exercises to keep hot muscles from shortening and cramping.
- Use the correct body movements or positions during activities, so that you do not strain your shoulder. Do not lift objects that are too heavy for you
- Maintain mobility, strength, and flexibility.
- Avoid overusing your arm doing repeated movements that can injure your tendons. In daily routines, think about the activities in which you make repetitive arm movements. Try alternating hands during activities, such as gardening, cooking or playing musical instruments. Use rest, ice, compression and elevation for home treatment.
- Avoid keeping your arms out to the side or raised overhead for long periods of time. If you must do so, take frequent breaks.
People that have used these preventive strategies that end up getting hurt later, go through rehab much quicker and get back to their normal daily activities faster than those who don’t.
Dynamic Physical Therapy
If you are experiencing shoulder pain or think you may need physical therapy in or around Morgantown, please give us a call to schedule an appointment or visit our website to learn more!
- Westover: 304-225-5222
- Sabraton: 304-225-0910
- Pineview Drive: 304-598-2212
Thanks for reading!